Monday, May 16, 2011

Quick Trip to Nashville

Instead of walking across the stage for graduation, I decided to go to Nashville and visit the parents.  With everything going on the week of graduation it was going to be pretty impossible to actually spend time with them during that week.  After our road trip to the four corners I hopped a plane two days later and spent 3 days with the rents at their new "retirement" home in Nashville.  When I left our house in the morning we went snowmobile to four wheeler, to walking down our road to the truck, and eventually on the plane for Nashville.  Talk about some serious transportation coordination.  Also when we left the house it was about 33 degrees out and snowing and when I arrived in Nashville it was 90 degrees and HUMID!  I forgot how much I really dislike the humidity! 

Thank the lord we stopped for popsicles on the way home from the airport at Las Paletas.  It was quite tasty and I would if I could put a little joint like this in Sugar House as I know it would be a major hit there! Super Yummy...Mexican Popsicles...really how can one go wrong here?


So many colors...so many flavors.  I had a Tamarind and Chili paleta...hmmm yummy!

We spent the days hanging out at the house, visiting my cousin Elizabeth and her family, visiting our old neighbors the Hetzel's, and getting my parents ready to attend the Iroquise Steeple Chase.  The Iroquise Steeple Chase is Nashville's version of the Kentucky Derby, but instead it is a fundraiser for the children's hospital.  Apparently this is a big deal, where streets are closed off, people come in from out of town, and yes big hats are worn.  I managed to book my flight just in time to get out of town before the races, but my parents were attending with the Hetzel's.  Yes, we did buy my mom a hat to wear to the races, and she was quite proud of herself that she found one made in England.  Come on a large hat made in England...it's gotta be ok for the horse races then!


I only took a few pictures when I was home and of course remembered to take a picture of the retirement house the morning that I was leaving.  Most of the house is currently under construction making a few of the "necessary" improvements...you know every retiree deserves a theater room.  Regardless seems as though the parents are enjoying there new house, dogwood pond in the backyard (they have a little pond with frogs), and visiting with long lost friends and family.


My Dad with my cousin Blake in Elizabeth's pool.  Elizabeth and her husband Patrick had us over for dinner, and it was great to visit with them.  Blake of course kept my Dad entertained while they were in the pool together.

No comments: