Friday, April 8, 2011

Transformational Leadership

("US Olympic Committee Institutional Mark")

I know,  I kind of hinted at a big interview that I had today...well need we say it was fantastic!  I am a real nerd these days, doing non stop homework and writing papers like crazy.  One of my papers that I need to write revolves around organizational communication, and the aspect that I chose was that of a transformational leader. Five key characteristics of a transformational leader are: challenge the processes, inspire a shared vision, enable others to act, model the way, and encourage the heart.

For my paper I needed to find a CEO who embodied the ideals of a transformational leader, and after having attended the Olympic Assembly this past September I knew exactly who I wanted to speak with.  Scott Blackmun is the new/current CEO of US Olympic Committee.  I have had a few opportunities to interact with him at various events that we have attended, and have been forever impressed by his openness and willingness to engage the athlete. 

As a somewhat "outsider" looking in at the USOC I have been overwhelming impressed with the leadership that Scott has brought to the organization.  I believe the speech he gave at the Olympic Assembly, was pivotal in establishing trust and hope amongst the various constituents of the Olympic Movement.  For the remainder of the Assembly there was almost a buzz about Scott, his leadership, and the hope that he installed within others.  As an Olympian and onlooker it was and is incredibly inspiring to be apart of.

Personally, I have witnessed Scott take a genuine interest in the needs of the athletes, his staff, constituents within the movement, and the overall well-being of the USOC.  It is because of this personal interest that I can see why there is a sense of hope surrounding his leadership.  Scott's vision, the direction and change that he is steering within the U.S. Olympic Movement, and the challenges that he faces as a CEO are not only interesting to me from an academic standpoint but also as someone who has had a long relationship within the movement.

I knew it was potentially going to be a long shot to even get an opportunity to speak with Scott, as I referred to him in my email as "a freakishly busy human." Somehow amongst his busy schedule he was more than happy to fit me in.  (Crazy I know!)  One of the things that I find so incredible about the USOC as an organization is that for me, they not only took an interest in my athletic needs, but also took a vested interest in that of me as a person.  (And they continue to do that to this day.)

I am extremely thankful to Scott for having taken the time to speak with me, and will leave you with the following tidbit from our conversation.

As an athlete I was always asked this question when being interviewed, "If you could sum up the Olympic Games in one word what would it be?"  I decided to turn the tables and ask Scott that question. His answer, "a celebration."  Not in the sense of a party, but rather a celebration of humanity that for two weeks every two years we as a global community forget what divides us and instead focus on what unites and inspires us.

"US Olympic Committee Institutional Mark." TeamUSA.org . Web. 14 Apr 2011.

No comments: