Big City Soup, one of the greatest soup joints that I have ever been to. While they may not serve up Tjaarda's Mustard Soup..come on that's a true euro delicacy...they have the best soup ever! Now that I have built it up so much here is the catch...they are no longer in business! My former teammate and I Chad used to love going there for a bowl of soup to warm us up after long days on the ice, and then all of a sudden..WHAM...no more Big City Soup. It was a shock to say the least and a loss of a great lunch joint for the city of Salt Lake. To this day we still talk about how much we miss that place, and in particular their famous Happy Jack Chicken Curry Soup. I've scoured the Internet trying to find comparable recipes to there's but it seems as though I'm always missing something.
Today, I've been working on various projects for school, and have now hit a wall. I hoped on the Internet and began doing what I do best...surf...with the hopes that in the wasteland of the Internet somewhere out there I might find the recipe for Big City Soups Happy Jack Chicken Curry Soup.
I came across an article from the Salt Lake Tribune that had recreated recipe of the soup. Turns out I'm not the only Salt Laker in search of this goodness. Since I happened to have all of the necessary ingredients on hand I figured I would give it a shot. Overall impression is that it is pretty close to the original, but as always it's still missing a little something I just don't know what that something is. (Maybe it's just that I'm not actually sitting at Big City Soup.)
Another little tidbit of information that I just happened to stumble upon while super surfing was this link to Big City's website, where they are hoping to publish a cook book soon! On top of that they have the recipe printed for Happy Jack Chicken Curry (awesome that it is there...not so awesome that I already made the other recipe! Ohh well.)
I can't wait to let Chad know what I have discovered!
If you are a lover of soup I would recommend getting this book as soon as it comes out. Big City used to update their soup menu daily and serve up some of the most incredible bowls of tasty goodness I have ever had.
Here is a link to their website and the recipe from Big City Soup. Enjoy!



No comments:
Post a Comment