Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Have I gone crazy?

Hmm that seems to be the question that I was asking myself all last week.  I had to make a big kid decision last week...something that I typically try to avoid at all costs. In anticipation of graduating and entering into the real world I have begun the process of applying for jobs and internships.  Like I said in one of my earlier posts it's not easy to convince people there is more substance to me than just going around in circles.

I applied for a job as a corporate events coordinator for a medical company here in town and I also applied for an internship with the international games department of the USOC.  To be honest, I really didn't think that I would actually get the gig with the company here in town, especially after they mentioned to me in the first interview round that they had over 150 applicants for the job.  I was called back for a second interview with them, and they had me perform some tasks to test my skills...and in my opinion I bombed this one!  I haven't sat in front of a PC in like 10 years!  I'm a Mac not a PC (come on I own Apple stock too!)  I know it's not rocket science but there are subtle differences.  Having not worked on a PC in forever I felt like what would normally take me 5 minutes on a Mac took me what felt like eons on a PC.  (I swear I am very computer literate, but it was just unfortunate that PC and I had to become reacquainted during an interview!)

After this round I pretty much thought there is no way I am going to be offered this position, and I didn't hear back from them for quite some time.  While I was waiting to hear back from them the USOC called and offered me a 6 month internship in International Games.  The gist of IG is they plan and execute everything and anything relating to Olympic, ParaOlympic, PanAm, and Youth Olympic Games.  From background checks and all transportation logistics, housing and team apparel, accreditation, ticketing, and commemorative items,  IG does it all.  They coordinate everything.   The only draw back is that it is located in Colorado Springs, which means I would have to move to away from the Norman.  I let them know that I had to talk to Norman about it and make sure that he was on board with a 6 month move.

While thinking things over with Norman, the recruiter from the medical company here in town called and had additional questions to ask me.  Hmm maybe my PC shock wasn't as bad as I thought, but the recruiter still couldn't give a clear idea as to when all decisions would be made.  I let him know that I had another offer on the table, and needed to call the USOC back within the next day.  The next day rolled around and after consulting many varied opinions I accepted the USOC offer...and of course two days later the medical group called with a formal offer for the position here in town.

There were lots of things running through my head as I debated accepting the IG position or wait for a formal offer from the medical company.  I had done some background checking on the people that I would have been working with at the medical company and they sounded like a great group to work with.  Everyone I spoke with had positive things to say about them and their division.  Knowing that they were a good group made the decision even harder and I have to admit I was impressed and comforted by their personalities when I interviewed with them.  So have I gone crazy?  I was offered a full time, legitimately paid position, with a company that was willing to take a chance on a rink rat, during an economic recovery...and I declined.  Sounds crazy.

Here is why I decided to do what I did.  It wasn't the fact that I had to accept one offer before another, but ultimately it came down to the fact that I have an opportunity to go and work with essentially two of my mentors within the Olympic Movement for the next 6 months.  IG is headed by two women who are amazing at what they do, and it is incredibly rare to have two women heading a MAJOR division in sport.   Also it isn't often that a young professional has an opportunity to work with two people that they greatly admire. The other factor affecting my decision is that once you go into a profession it is highly unlikely and much more difficult to leave a real job/career for an internship.  This internship has turned out to be a it's the right time in my life/our lives, and a once in a life time opportunity. I know that during my time with IG I will learn a ton, and I have of course reiterated to them over and over that I want them to challenge me so that I can learn as much as possible. 

Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and a position with the medical company will come available again in December?  Regardless of what happens I know that working for IG will prepare me for the future to come in any avenue I choose to venture into.  In the mean time before leaving for the Springs... I intend to spend a little additional time at the library becoming better acquainted with my friend Mr. PC.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

congrats on the job offers. that is AMAZING. glad you followed your heart. once in a life time opportunities don't come around often. slc and it's job opportunities will always be here. be proud!!

superdavepaul said...

Good decision...as if you needed my input. dp