Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Tails, Stories of Successful Pet Adoptions!

I thought I would import this story that I posted for my other blog site.  I thought it was a great story of adoption.  Had I known sooner about Dodger...I think that Yeti might have had a friend up on the mountain.  The best part about working on this group project is getting to read about all of the successful adoptions that go on and of course, I have to be careful to no want to bring home every single canine that needs a home. 
 Meet Dodger! 

Dodger might just be the only dog in the world with her own seeing-eye dog!  When she first came to Friends of Animals, the staff knew there was something very wrong with her eyes and she appeared to be in a lot of pain. Their vet confirmed the worst — Dodger had congenital glaucoma. The only option was to remove both of her eyes.  Dodger had the surgery and recovered in foster care. Despite being blind, she proved to be just as curious, playful and loving as any other puppy and was soon ready to find a forever home.

Not many people seek out a blind dog to adopt, but when Dodger’s story was featured in the local paper, her new owner just knew this was the dog she’d been waiting for. Dodger was adopted and quickly bonded with her new mom and dog brother — Bullitt.  Like any big brother, Bullitt looks out for his little ‘sister’ and he even wears a bell so she can follow him. Today, Dodger is almost a year old and is loving the mountain lifestyle. In fact, thanks to Bullitt’s bell, Dodger can go on hikes, mountain bike rides, swimming and even cross country skiing with her new owner and her personal guide dog.

No comments: