I got new GEAR! Yup I finally traded in my old skis and boots for what I like to call...big girl skis! And I am super excited about it! Each year Black Diamond (one of the greatest ski and climbing gear makers of all time) sells off their demo equipment. Now you all know my philosophies "NEVER PAY FULL PRICE," along with "NEVER BUY CRAP," and so a shoppertunity like this could not be missed!
The sale started at 9 am...I showed up at BD around 8:00 am and ended up being about 50 people back in the line. I have to admit I was a little bummed about this. I thought I had planned accordingly, but apparently not! Knowing that there were maybe 2 pairs of skis in my size, the chances of me scoring said fatties were not looking good, especially since I counted 10 plus chicks in front of me that could potentially poach my skis. The BD sale is full of ski and climbing bums looking to score gear at a decent price. While everyone is nice and friendly in line swapping stories of epic adventures one question always pops up in conversation..."so, what are you trying to score." How one answers this question can mean making friends or powder raging foes.
At 9:00 am the doors open and people scurry into the shop to try to score their goodies. The skis I was looking for were downstairs in the basement of the store. As I made my way to the back wall I looked and saw that yes...my skis had already been poached. Need we say sad face :( for this camper. I kinda hung around the bottom then went upstairs and checked out the new skis to see if it was worth it for me to bite the bullet and buy a new pair on sale...but still not as sick of a deal as the demos. Eventually, I wandered back downstairs to take one more look, and it was like the gods of the mountain were shinning down on me because as I was snooping around again, a girl put my skis back on the wall. Instantly I snagged them up. Yes, I was polite enough to ask her if she was for sure not taking the skis, come on now...my parents gave me the Amy Vanderbilt complete book of etiquette when I was a kid! Even in the face of killer gear and a mild case of power rage...I still know my manners!
When she said she didn't won't them my grip tightened around the fatties and my heart began to smile. I had scored my skis...my big girl...big fat fatties...Black Diamond JOULES (and they are even black, white, and pink..how stylie!) On top of the ski score...I also scored a sweet pair of boots that are...actually comfortable. Yes, I am that much of a dork...I made Norman take a picture of me with my new gear in the parking lot!
I've already skied on them many times and have pure love for them. They are really fun to ski and the boots weigh about half that of my old ones. I am convinced that with these new fatties I'll be doing sick jumps on them like the ones in the video below! WHOO HOO!
Ohh yeah, I forgot to mention...we are getting another 12 - 18 inches of freshies on Monday night...it's going to be baller!

No comments:
Post a Comment