Sunday, September 14, 2008

The SNOOZE CRUISE

Leading into our wedding, I thought it was a nice idea to get everyone who came to  Moab early together and just do something fun.  In searching around on the internet I came across Canyonlands by Night.  It is a boat tour, on the Colorado River, that is described as the best light and sound show in Moab.  I thought hmmm this sounds like a nice idea for everyone, not to far off the deep end of crazy, but hopefully giving people a chance to see the beauty of Moab.  The tour was described as a light and sound show displaying the beauty of the red rocks and its history.  This is where I should have questioned things a bit further, but clearly I have been to Epcot one to many times.  Here I am thinking this was going to be a light and sound show kinda like what they have at Epcot with the lasers and water. Or even like the 4th of July when the fireworks are set to music....quite the contrary.

We were greeted by our friendly host Dee, or better yet How-DEE. He gave us some detailed instructions on dinner, and reminded us that hot items are hot.  Therefore we should be careful not to burn our hands, and hold our plates where we placed our salads because it would be cold.  I will admit we all  enjoyed the dutch oven cooking that was on the menu for dinner, and will keep Dee's advice for the future.  
Ricky, Shannon, and myself getting into the spirit of things, and smiling of course because we all took Dee's advice and did not burn our hands during dinner!

After dinner, we all loaded up onto the boats for our cruise down the Colorado River.  How-Dee gave us a history of Moab and the surrounding areas. He reminded us if we just use our imagination we could see images in the beauty of the rocks.  Hmm...do I sense a little Disney coming to mind here.  Dee was kind enough to point out the various images that he has come across throughout his years on the boat cruise.  Yes we were all fortunate to see a man with a rather large nose, a witch, and most exciting Winnie the Pooh.



Judy, Jack, and myself loading the boat for our tour....sing it with me,
"It's a small world after all...."


Eventually our boat reached the turn around point, which I think everyone was quite relieved  about, and the sound and light show began.  Boy did it ever...just to give everyone a little idea of what we were in for the opening consisted of a clash of thunder and a deep voice saying, "And God said let there be light!"  Well I'm going to assume that God was there with us because he was kind enough to provide us with a pick up truck to drive a giant spot light along the river, and provide us with our amazing sound and light show! 

I'm sure that all of you can gather that this was not the cruise that we were anticipating, but I will say it will forever give us all something to laugh about.  We were all able to have a nice dinner, where my parents were not the oldest people in the room, enjoy a boat cruise, see some gorgeous stars, and will forever laugh about How-Dee.  

Somehow the secret got out that Ricky and I were getting married the next day.  We were trying to keep things quiet as to not upset Marc that I would be jilting him at the alter.  When our secret love went public Ricky and I called it off, and I resolved to meet Marc at the alter. This is our final good-bye after the boat cruise.  Hey at least I got to kiss another guy on my last night of being single!  



No comments: