Monday, September 8, 2008

Mayor Dave


When Marc ad I first began planning our wedding we thought we had pretty much all the details ironed out.  We had picked our wedding party, selected a location, and invited our family and friends.  What more could we really need to do.... ha lots!  One question we were asked many times was who was going to marry us.  I hadn't really thought about that detail. Hmm this posed a new challenge.  Marc and I are not exactly religious, unless you count the Church of Snowflake, and so getting a minister to marry us was not exactly what we were looking for.  
In June my mother and I went down to Moab to check out Red Cliffs Lodge for our wedding site, and again we were asked the dreaded question.  It was at the suggestion of the wedding coordinator from Red Cliffs that we look into contacting Mayor Dave Sakrison, the Mayor of Moab.  So off I went in search of Mayor Dave.  Everyone I talked to in Moab, just loved Mayor Dave, and would say how great and wonderful he is.  I called the City of Moab and left messages for Mr. Mayor, but he was becoming a bit allusive..making his greatness even more intriguing.  
Eventually I came to learn that Mayor Dave was actually not only the Mayor of Moab, but also the proud owener and operator of Dave's Corner Market; located near the famous Slick Rock moutain biking trails.  (If you have been to Moab, and been to the slick rock, then you have for sure seen/passed Dave's Corner Market.)  I found out that Mr. Mayor would be at the store from 6 am - 10 am the next day.  I was determined to meet the great Mayor Dave and find out if he would be willing to perform our ceremony. 
The next morning I awoke at 6:30 am and headed out with Yeti to sniff out Mayor Dave. When I  arrived at the Corner Market, I entered the store and noticed a round table with 5 gentlemen sitting around it drinking coffee.  I walked around the table, fixed myself a cup of coffee, and turned to the gentlemen and asked, "Excuse me, is anyone here Mayor Dave?"  The reply..."It's Dave's day off he goes up to Monticello today.  What can we do for you?"  In a slight state of desperation I told them I needed someone to marry me and would anyone be available on Thursday, September 4.  At that moment I received my second and third offers of marriage.  I think I could have gotten a solid five in total but the other three were already taken!  The gentlemen at the table (who I now refer to as Mayor Dave's inner council) assured me that the Mayor would perform the ceremony, no problem.  If the inner council said it was okay then it would be done.  I'm glad  I got local approval for my wedding, but still needed a bit of reassurance from Mayor Dave himself.  
Eventually I tracked down Mayor Dave and learned first hand just how great he really is.  He invited, my mom, me, and Yeti, into his office and we talked about our wedding.  He checked his calendar and scheduled Marc and I in.  A few weeks before our wedding I sent Mayor Dave a letter telling him a bit about Marc and I.  It was important to me that he get to "know" Marc and I even though we were all the way up in Salt Lake.  Mayor Dave was kind, calm, and reassuring.  I think he appreciated that Marc and I were a bit unconventional in our wedding style and that we wanted our wedding to be fun and easy.  

When I was in Moab last week I made another early morning trip to Dave's Corner Market.  I had been looking forward to this for several weeks.  I grabbed my cup of coffee, sat down, and chatted with all the locals. (I even got to have  coffee with two of the original inner council members!) Over the course of about two hours I chatted with the locals, and watched Mayor Dave greet everyone by name who walked into his store.  Thank you to everyone!  It was a great morning and I hope to be returning to the locals table sooner rather than later.  

There is a reason why everyone loves Mayor Dave.  He is kind and friendly to everyone...local, out of towner, or even foreigner.  He is genuinely interested in how people are doing and what they are up to that day in Moab.  If you ever are in Moab, stop into Dave's Corner Market and grab a cup of coffee because you will be greeted with a smile.  

To Mayor Dave I can not thank you enough for performing such a wonderful ceremony and making my stay in Moab fantastic.  Thank you, and I look forward to seeing you again soon!

1 comment:

Utah Peterson's said...

Wow! I have never been in that store, but will definitely check it out this fall. We had a great time at your wedding party!