
Well, I have given up on sprinting and moved back into racing the long distances. Due to my lack luster performance at our trials a couple of weeks ago I lost my spot in the A group of the World Cup and so I had to start in the B group this weekend. I won't lie this put me into the grumpies, and as Shane my weight coach always says, "We don't want Ms. Raney to have a case of the grumpies!" Skating in the B group means racing early in the morning and having less than ideal conditions. Once you are in the B group it is very difficult to get out because only two people will advance. I wasn't sure what to expect during my race and the whole goal was to just skate a good technical race and not worry about the time. I knew that I had trained hard all week, significantly more than my competitors, and I was unsure of what I would be capable this weekend. I guess lowering my expectations is a good thing for me because I ended up skating a pretty good race and placing second. The only girl who beat me was Maren Haugli from Norway. (We were paired together at the Olympics in the 5k I was 7th she was 8th. We always have great battles when we race together.) Knowing that Maren and I are both consistent top 10 World Cup placers I knew that we each had respectable times. I'm now currently ranked 14th in the World Cup (B groupers do not get as many points as a groupers....it's a bit of an unfair system) and am hoping to work my way up the rankings this next weekend.

1 comment:
great photos! hang in there mrs. norman! congrats on getting 2nd place. we are thinking and pulling for you back here in utah. think cupcakes!
carrie
Post a Comment