Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Heerenveen



As many of you know it is World Cup time and that means lots of travel from city to city throughout Europe.  This year we are making stops in Berlin, Heerenveen, and Moscow.   Heerenveen is located in Holland, and is considered the Mecca of speed skating.  It is here that stands pack the stadium and skating is truly appreciated.  It is without a doubt that some of the best skaters and the best coaches come from Holland.  

As I have said before one of the things that I look forward to when traveling is getting to see many of my friends that I have around the world. In Heerenveen lives one of those friends and his name is Henk Gemser.  (Henk is like the god father of skating in Holland.)  He has coached many great skaters such as Gerard Kemkers, Gianni Romme, and Ids Postma.  Listing off his skaters is like a role call for the greats of our sport.  

I remember the first time I meet Henk was when I was 17 years old and skating on the World Cup circuit for the first time.  He came to me and told me, "Little girl, I am like your father here and will make sure to look out for you." (At the time he was referring to me being the new girl on the circuit being surrounded by many older skater guys.)  Since that day Henk and I have developed a special relationship.  

During my early years on the circuit Henk was always around because he was still coaching the KNSB.   After coaching he moved into T.V. commentary for the Dutch station NOS.  He took a break from commentating, but remained actively involved in sport and skating.  He was just recently appointed Chief de Mission' for the Dutch delegation during the Vancouver Games. Despite the many different roles that Henk has played throughout his career we have some how always remained in touch.  For the past 12 years I have listened to Henk tell me how, "he is watching me."  Each trip I go on I look forward to seeing and meeting with Henk.  Sometimes we go for coffee other times it is a conversation on the ice together.  

Henk has a so much experience and wisdom that I feel truly fortunate that he is willing to pass it on to me.  This past week at training Henk came to watch, and we had yet another wonderful talk.  Henk knows that the past year and half has been a trying one for me with coaching changes and learning a new skating technique.  I am thankful for his words of encouragement and his reminders of patience.  

Dank u Henk uw vele jahren van het aanmoedigen van woorden.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

it is always great to meet people like Henk.
good look this week. Cheering for you and look forward to hearing about your experience!

love your cupcake friend,
carrie