Sunday, April 1, 2012

SCIENCE FAIR!

Derek, Will, Myself at the U of U
This past week I went to a pretty cool event at the University of Utah, the  State Science Fair for 5th and 6th grade students.  I know I'm sure a lot of you are curious why I would go to the science fair.  One of the skaters that  I coach up in Park City decided to do his science fair project on Why the Utah Olympic Oval has the Fastest Ice on Earth?  Pretty sweet idea...way better than the science fair classic of a lame volcano!  

Back in January, Will meet up with Marc for a tour of the Oval and it's facilities and Marc worked with him on generating ideas for his experiments.  Sure enough the judges thought that Will's project was cool enough to be advanced to the distract championships.  We were all really excited for him but unfortunately Marc and I couldn't make it to the district. We were quite surprised when Will's mom called us to let us know that he had advanced to the state championships!

For the past couple of months I have been teasing Derek that my kids are smart and can skate too!  When we were at the U we ran into Jack, a kid from oval club that Derek coaches.  He was quick to point out that he's kids were smart too! 

It was a lot of fun to get to follow Will's progress through the world of science!  He really did a great job and it was also a lot of fun to get to see him and Marc work on the project together.  I think it is fair to say that Will looks up to Marc.  Made quite apparent by their ski day together at the Canyons where Will followed Marc all over the mountain jumping off of every rock possible. 

One last pic of the three boys that I coach up in Park City.  The three of them all look like trouble and they may think that they are sneaky. However they have no clue that Richard and I had the nickname of Search N Destroy as kids growing up! The boys are all in the 5th grade together and have a ton of fun!  Jonah, Will, and Casey!  This picture is from their school science fair where they introduced me to their principle when I stopped in to check out their projects!  Very proud of my "kids' and everything that they do!

No comments: