Monday, October 13, 2008

E! True Hollywood Story...Dig Dug.

 A little side trivia about myself is that I love Ms. Pacman.  I mean love it.  (I played it so much in the athlete village in Salt Lake City that I actually got a blister on my joystick finger!)  I have always loved playing this game from when I was a kid, and can even remember playing it on our Atari.  When I started traveling my dad bought me Ms. Pacman for my computer. 

During one of our visits with Marc's father I began boasting about how much I love Ms. Pacman and can beat anyone at it.  Well Sr. Norman remembered this little tidbit of trivia and kept it tucked away for the perfect opportunity.  One of our wedding gifts that Marc and I received was a full size arcade game, and who did it come from but...Sr. Norman.  At first we were a bit surprised by this gift, but it has provided us with endless hours of entertainment.  (Come on people it's just the two of us living up on a mountain...no internet, no cable, and we are lucky if we have a decent cell phone connection.  We have a lot of "hours" on our hands and plenty of time for high scores.)  

Of course I boasted over and over to Marc that I could beat him at Ms. Pacman.  Like most things that we do Marc is just better than me.  This is hard to swallow because well I am a bit competitive and so is he!  We sat down to battle Ms. Pacman and of course he beat me.  I'm willing to admit it that Norman has the high score on Ms. Pacman.  

Accepting defeat, I realized this past weekend that I had to move onto another game.  The game of choice DIG DUG.  Ohh yeah I'm a product of the 80's baby and Dig Dug is a game of my generation.  Now if you search the internet you'll come across our friend Troy's blogsite.  On that site he claims to have the Dig Dug World Record on top of Mt. Aire.  DREAM on DAVIS, DREAM ON!  We all know the real truth, those gray hairs, while becoming in an Anderson Cooper way, date you. They prove that we are not talking about your generation, but my generation.  The generation of Duck Tales, the Snorks, and DIG DUG.  You are to old to have the skill and knowledge of Dig Dug to become a true champion.  Davis, I may have let you get to the top of Emigration on your bike as to not embarrass you in front of your wife, but Dig Dug is where I draw the line.  

This is the E! True Mt. Aire Story of how things went down.  It was a snowy evening up on the Mountain and Marc and I invited friends over to watch the flakes fall, enjoy some warm chili, and watch a flick.  While we were cleaning up after dinner Troy went downstairs to play the arcade game.  After realizing that he too was unable to beat Norman at Ms. Pacman he moved onto Dig Dug.  After a few embarrassing attempts he learned how to play the game and walked away feeling great about himself that he had set a high score of 15580.  Yes Davis left that evening feeling like he was the Champion of the World for Dig Dug, but little did he know that his score was a pathetic attempt at Dig Dug.  Again I felt a bit awkward about beating Troy in front of Sheri, and so I waited until they had left to take on his score.  It took me one game to almost double his score I came in at 29,520!  By the time I had gone to bed I had destroyed my personal best and scored 35480.  (Take that Davis!)  

The moral of the story here: Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  And, Thanks for a great Saturday evening!  It was a blast.  

2 comments:

TD said...

this simply proves that we both have WAY too much time on our hands. Being we are both professional athletes, you a skater, me a Dig-Dugger we should really get back to training! You know anderson cooper is sexy...

Fun times, I like it!

Anonymous said...

A EXCUSE ME

THATS SIR NORMAN

APPARENTLY YOU DIDDNT

KNOW THAT IVE BEEN KNIGHTED

SO THERE!