Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Intern Life Update!

WoW...this J O B thing really takes up some serious time and is kinda cramping my style!  Besides still living in Excell HELL...I am having a good time.  I've been pretty much thrown into the fire here at the USOC trying to get myself up to speed as quickly as possible because there is sooo much going on in our division.  We are getting ready for the Pan American Games in Guadalajara, the first ever Winter Youth Olympic Games, and of course the London Olympic Games.  Talk about a busy busy crew and the crazy thing is they typically run and manage all of these events with 10 full time staffers....and 1 intern! 

The nice thing about working with this group is that even in week one I feel like they are willing to treat me like an actual member of the staff as opposed to an intern.  At times I feel like, and I really am, scheduled in more meetings than my actual supervisors!  I certainly do appreciate the freedom that they have given me in that respect to be allowed to take part and contribute in various meetings. 

Now on the flip side, my running joke is, at times I think they forget that just because I went to four games does not mean that I have "an all things games microchip" implanted in my head!  Therefore I have taken it upon myself to ask lots of questions, take a million notes, created a key to break the USOC acronym code, and work my little behind off to try and produce the quality of work I know they expect.  For weeks one and two it has meant logging a lot of hours. I was joking with my good friend Derek the other day that I had become the workoholic Derek Parra of the USOC.  I actually don't really sticking around late because I really want to make sure that I do a good job on the projects that I've been assigned.  (Stupid type A personality of mine!)

Now for your "Office" blunder of the week: I completely brain farted on my departure date for my upcoming trip to Guadalajara.  I kept thinking that I was leaving tomorrow for the trip to Mexico, even managed to book a shuttle transport to the airport and all...when today one of my coworkers (who booked my flight) gave me the heads up that..."No your flight leaves on Saturday."  One I'm slightly relieved that my flight isn't until Saturday but two embarrassed because I already had my luggage packed up for the trip! Oh well, I guess I'm just uber prepared now!

No comments: