Monday, March 30, 2009

Vancouver!

Welcome to the Richmond Olympic Oval...home of the 2010 Olympic Games. I was here in mid March for the final competition of the year World Single Distance Championships. This was my first time being in Vancouver and at this oval, and I have to admit I loved it! Loved every minute being there. Yes I know it's the Canadian in me that is truly coming out now..ay! Flying in I was excited just because it is so beautiful. Vancouver is set right on the ocean with the huge Rockies in the background and it is gorgeous. It is a pretty big city, kinda has a bit of a Chicago feel to it when you are downtown, with great unique districts throughout the whole city. The oval is located in Richmond, aka the Hongcouver part of town. While at times I felt like I was actually in Asia, the benny to this is there are plenty of great sushi places to hit up within walking distance to our hotel.

(My Canadian mom and me)

I think the thing that I enjoyed most about Vancouver is that I felt like I was at home while I was there. Everyone on my team was making fun of me because as I proclaimed on day one...I was back with my people! That's right my people. There are a whole slew of my Calgary Canadian Crew that were working at the World Championships, but they will also be working during the Games. That's right so it's my ice guys that are making the ice, and my post workout espressos for me. My former training partners chasing the blocks on the track, and cheering in the stands. My old weight coach that is actually going to be announcing for the Olympics...ahhh Mattie J, your so great! Ohh and did I mention that the one and only Ricky Krieck's mom will be at the stairs up to the oval before every race. I refer to her as MY Canadian mom, after all she does have the same name as my mom, and yes gives me a hug before and after each race. It is a huge benefit to have the "at home" advantage before any competition or especially Olympics, and I have to say that I feel lucky enough to have this.


The inside of the Oval is just as beautiful as the outside. It's kinda strange when you walk in the oval is located on the second floor. Beneath the ice is underground parking, locker rooms, weight rooms, an indoor rowing pool, and offices. The roof is made from recylced pine wood trees that had been killed off by the pine wood beetle. (That is a nasty little bug that has eaten up a huge chunk of the forests in B.C. and Alberta.) Unfortunately due to tv broadcasting the windows were all covered during the competition, but normally you have views of the mountains and river right outside the arena.
Last but not least a picture from the party after the competition. Yup you guessed it...that is the one and only Joey Cheek. Cheek flew in to watch the competition as he was on spring break from Princeton and took a break from his busy save/take over the world campaign he has been on since the 06 Games.

No comments: