Sunday, January 24, 2010

SNOW GLORIOUS SNOW!

It is here! It is finally here! We officially got a MAJOR storm on Mt. Aire! We started getting nuked yesterday and then it carried through the evening and into early this morning! I was supposed to go to the oval this morning and train, but realized there was no way I was going to make it there in time so...yes...this Olympic Athlete got a snow day! I have to admit it was a much needed snow day. We are making our final push in training leading into Vancouver and I am baked right now. We have been training hard for the past three weeks and today was the last day of our training block. Athletes run a fine line when they train and pushing yourself over that line can mean serious trouble! I knew this morning when I woke I was getting close to going over the edge and was not pumped about having to go into the oval this morning. I hate missing practice so I got into my normal routing up at 6:30, put the coffee maker on, let Yeti outside....and then I saw it...buried snowmobiles! Mounds of SNOW! I think this was Mother Natures way of telling me to take a snow day! And let me tell you this snow day was amazing!
This is Marc heading down the mountain to go skiing at Snowbird. There was no way he was going to miss an epic day like this. It did take us about 20 minutes to get his snowmobile unburied. He called me from the bottom of the canyon and told me he had to stand up on the snowmobile the whole way down because there was so much snow and he couldn't see where he was going! He also said there were a couple of moments where he couldn't tell if he was on the road or not! I'm pretty glad I stayed home!
Like I said I always feel guilty whenever I miss training. Before Marc left he told me not to sweat it...he reminded me that I always complain that I am never home for the monster dumps and today was my day to enjoy it. He was right! I made a point of enjoying. I set off with the white dog and did a mini lap of snow shoeing. It was amazing and the perfect day of relaxation for me! As Yeti and I were shoeing around I just kept thinking how lucky Marc and I are to live in such a beautiful place. I also reminded myself to enjoy this relaxing day because I have earned and needed a day like this for a long time.
The snow is DEEP! It is up to my mid thigh. We are guessing that in the past 24 hours we got about 36 inches of snow! Here's one of the signs on the road directing people to the houses in the area! It is almost covered after last nights snow. Yeti and I headed down to our "neighbors" house to see how they were doing. I knew that Kim Hayes (our neighbor and Marc's buddy on the mountain) had headed off to ski (he and Marc speak the same language of snowflake). I told Marc I was going to see what Linda was up to because I knew she would be hanging at the house today. It was a blast to visit with her! We had several cups of tea and chatted while Yeti and his buddy on the mountain, Trouser, had fun together. This is the first year that we have had "neighbors" on the mountain and it is a lot of fun to visit with them.
Our driveway leading to the house! Beautiful huh! Good thing I'm a lover of the white fluffy stuff...otherwise we would have a major problem!

Below is a video of the happiest dog in the world! He is loving all of this snow despite the fact that he is practically having to swim through it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad the snow is there and not in Elm Grove. Ginger would be lost for sure !!! Stay warm.

clarahughes said...

well raney-cat we sure missed you at continentals (THE MOST EXCITING EVENT OF THE LONG TRACK SPEED SKATING YEAR!) here in Calgary but I am glad you had your snow day :))) wish Pete and I were there, too! Clara