Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lions and Tigers and...


BEARS oh my!  Yes, it's official we have a bear...or two on the mountain.  Last weekend Shawn came up to do a hike with Marc up on the ridge line.  I drove the four wheeler with the two of them plus Yeti as far as I could on the mountain side and dropped them off.  They were planning to hike to the top of the ridge, along it, and then back down.  When we all unloaded to start the hike we came across...bear tracks!  Of course Shawn and Marc thought they were cool, and couldn't wait to start following.  I told them that Yeti was no longer allowed to go hiking with them and so he had to come back to the house with me.  Marc and Shawn hiked around for about two hours that day and followed the bear tracks, but no official bear sightings.  Pretty amazing to think that we have one up here and really puts things into perspective at just how crazy we are to live up here.  Of course I have now done all sorts of research on bears and know lots about them.  For starters in Utah we have black bears.  Black bears do not attack humans, and a lot of times are very skittish and afraid of humans.  Often dogs can scare them away...although I will not be testing that theory.  If you come between black bears and their cubs they do not attack..that is a common trait to grizzly bears.  Normally they should be hibernating right now but due to our warm winter we have had so far they are still out foraging for food.  Perhaps after this next storm they'll go to sleep for the winter, and we'll wait to see them again in the summer!

No comments: