As I am sitting here in Europe, sipping away at my cinnamon tea, I am reminded of my recent trip back to Milwaukee and my visit to the Spice House, in Wauwatosa. Who would have thought inside that little red house some of the most amazing flavors, aromas, and mixtures would come alive. It is Ruth and Billy Penzy who make all of these wonderful spices and have done so with care, precision, and thought put into every mix and grind for over 50 years. They have studied the history, the culture, and traveled the world to find the perfect herbs to make their spices. For them making blends aren't just figuring out what tastes good together, but rather it's like a spiritual process. It isn't uncommon to walk into the Spice House and have Bill tell his customers the history behind one of their Spices. On this past trip we learned the history of cinnamon. He told us that it was high in antioxidants and at one time was thought to cure the common cold. Bill also told us how cinnamon is grown, the cultivation process, and how the bark curls up once it is dried and becomes a quill. In my visit prior to this one Bill had all of his customers in the store stand together in a circle, hold hands and read a poem together. It was for him a way to almost bless each one of us and his spices. I know this all might sound out there, but what I see in Ruth and Bill is their passion. It is pretty rare to find two people who put every ounce of their being into their craftsmanship.Every time I come home to Milwaukee I always make a point of stopping in at the Spice House. The Spice House is unlike any store that you will ever come across. Even when you first get out of your car you can smell all of the aromas from the spices pouring out of the shop. As I mentioned above, Bill and Ruth Penzy founded the Spice House. That last name might sound a bit familiar as it is the namesake of Penzy's Spices (for those of us that are foodies we all know the name.) In 1992 Bill and Ruth sold their family business to their daughter and son-in-law who have gone on to expand the family business, but have honored the principles set forth by Ruth and Bill. Bill and Ruth continue to operate what is called the Kavanaugh Hill Spice House in Wauwatosa.
Here is pic of Bill sharing his knowledge about cinnamon. He is almost 77 and is still coming up with new blends for his shop.
Fikre is a true spice house convert. There is a potential that Fikre and I might just open up our own spice house together back in SLC! Here he is loading up on spices. He is even going to be helping Bill and Ruth make a special spice blend based on an Ethiopian recipe! I have told him it is his first strategic move in becoming the next spice guru!
Laura at the spice grinder with a quill of Cinnamon from China. Bill allowed us to grind our own cinnamon to take home. He also gave each one of us a packet of cinnamon tea, a giant quill of cinnamon, and hand held spice grinders. What a great field trip!
Another pic of Ruth...amazing what she is able to do at this store, she is pretty much the captain that keeps it all going and at almost 71 years old she makes it look easy!P.S. I am currently traveling with a mini selection of spices. You never know what you are going to get over here in the land of bland speed skating hotel buffet lines. So I have with me: Historic Third Ward Italian Spice (Ruth's favorite) Cinnamon Tea (gotta ward of the piggy flu) and Chicago Old Town Spice (the coffee can be a little rough this gives me some flavor!)

No comments:
Post a Comment