Friday, July 1, 2011

The Intern Life: "Toto I Don't Think We Are in Kansas Anymore?"

So unfortunately I didn't have any luck getting on stand by this morning.  I made the trek out to the airport at 4:30 AM, aka before the butt crack of dawn, to be told by the ticketing agent that Delta doesn't do standby.  Hmm interesting as the agent last night on the phone told me they did. I didn't quite have the motivation at 4:30 AM, aka before the butt crack of dawn, to argue with her.  Regardless I ended up heading back to the OTC, and wound up getting a good run and weight room session in before heading to work.

Speaking of work....I have to admit it's been a pretty good week so far.  Monday there was a little party going on all morning to celebrate and cheer on the women's soccer team competing in the soccer World Cup.  On Wednesday my coworkers and I went for a ride at lunch.  I was certainly appreciative of the fact that they showed me a nice road to climb up where there was minimal traffic and you could actually smell the trees! (I have to admit the riding in Colorado Springs...not that great...in fact somewhat disappointing.)  After we got back from work I had a delightful email letting me know that there was going to be a little party in the break room with of course...chocolate cake.

Oh yes and now to Friday.  Where today at noon the cattle were "racing" down Tejon.  (Tejon is pretty much the main street in downtown Colorado Springs and headquarters is based there.)  It was kinda funny because for about an hour leading up to it I would randomly hear people say something like, "Are they really bringing cattle down Tejon?  Have the cattle showed up? What time are the cattle coming...with another shout across the hallway of High NOON!"  So sure enough we all headed up, at high noon, to the 6th floor to the balcony to watch for the cattle.

 USOC Staffers waiting on the balcony to watch the running of the cattle!
My coworker Linda...super nice human...waiting for HIGH NOON and the cattle to come! 
 The Cattle are coming the Cattle are coming...literally straight down main street...with cars parked all over, people eating lunch in outside dining, and others crowding the streets to see them come!
 Texas Longhorns! (in Colorado...hmm interesting?!?)

There were even a few baby cows in the mix.  As Norman will confirm I heart the baby cows and always give them a shout out whenever I'm out riding my bike. 


And while it wasn't quite the running of the bulls in Pamplona it was entertaining to say the lease.  Sure enough at just past noon a herd of pretty much giant Texas long horn cattle were walking down main street...with a police escort too! Apparently this is the kick off to the rodeo that is starting this weekend.  I had to laugh for the years and years that I lived in cow town..Calgary..home of the stampede I had never seen anything quite like this.

So yes Toto, we clearly are not in Kansas any more!

No comments: